​The firm of Kreamer Kincaid Taylor Lipsman Arney & Wait, L.C serves clients in Johnson County, Kansas; Jackson County, Missouri; and the surrounding area.  We concentrate in family law, personal injury, civil and commercial litigation, appellate practice, mediation, real estate, and business law.  Here are some answers to commonly asked questions that you may find helpful.

  • What is probate?
  • How is a settlement amount determined in my personal injury case?
  • What factors does the court consider when dividing marital property?
  • How much child support will I have to pay?
  • Is child support tax-deductible?
  • What should I bring to my first meeting at Kreamer Kincaid Taylor Lipsman Arney & Wait, L.C.?

​​What is probate?

Probate is the legal process of administering an estate after someone dies.  Most of the estate assets must go through probate before distribution to beneficiaries.  Probate includes the following:

  • Proving in court that the will is valid
  • Identifying and inventorying the estate property
  • Appraisal of assets and property
  • Payment of debts and taxes
  • Distribution of the property as directed by the will
  • Transferring title and ownership to the beneficiaries

​How is a settlement amount determined in my personal injury case?

Our experienced personal injury attorneys review all the facts and circumstances of your case to determine an approximate settlement value.  Some factors that are taken into consideration include:

  • Severity of your injury
  • Cause of the accident
  • Medical bills
  • Future medical bills
  • Loss of income
  • Age
  • Impact on your future earning capacity
  • Prognosis for future problems
  • Strength of lay and expert witness testimony

​What factors does the court consider when dividing marital property?

Kansas and Missouri courts usually consider the following criteria and more when dividing marital property:

  • Length of the marriage
  • Age, health, income, vocational skills, employment-capability, liabilities, and needs of each spouse
  • Contributions made during the marriage by one spouse to the education, training, or increased earning power of the other spouse
  • Future income and assets
  • Other sources of income including pensions, retirement, and other benefits
  • Value of each spouse’s property
  • Standard of living during the marriage
  • Tax consequences of any property distribution
  • Custodial parent designation

How much child support will I have to pay?

The law requires parents to support their children, even when the parents were never married.  The state of Kansas has developed guidelines to assist lawyers, judges and the public to determine the minimum amount of child support depending on the income and size of the family.  These guidelines may be difficult for a lay person to understand.  Our attorneys help clients to work through the guidelines to estimate how much child support will be expected.

​Is child support tax-deductible?

The parent paying child support does not receive a tax deduction and the spouse receiving it does not have to report it as taxable income.

​​​​​What should I bring to my first meeting?

Depending on the issue involved, it is helpful to bring the following documents to assist your attorney in evaluating your case:

Appellate practice

  • Decision of lower court
  • Supporting motions and documents

Family law and divorce mediation

Business law

  • Articles of incorporation
  • Partnership agreements
  • By-laws
  • Agreements

Civil and commercial litigation

  • Contracts and agreements
  • Insurance policies
  • Relevant correspondence
  • Paid invoices
  • Insurance policies

Estate Planning

  • ​Prior wills, trusts, and other estate planning documents.
  • Current personal financial statement.
  • Life insurance policies.
  • Deeds to real estate.
  • Information about family members or other intended beneficiaries.

Estate Planning Documents


Personal injury

  • Police or incident reports
  • Medical bills and reports
  • Witness statements
  • Property damage estimates


  • ​Original will and any codicils.
  • Original living trust and any amendments or restatements.
  • Death certificate.
  • Listing of all assets in which decedent had an interest, including deeds to real estate.
  • Decedent’s unpaid bills.
  • Names and addresses of all heirs and beneficiaries under the will

Real estate

  • Contract of sale
  • Rental agreements

Accomplished and practical attorneys

Contact Kreamer Kincaid Taylor Lipsman Arney & Wait, L.C. for practical and cost-effective solutions to many legal issues.  

Call us at 913-782-2350 or contact us online.

New Client Information/Frequently Asked Questions